GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

What do you use if its not a Ricoh GR?

dirk

GRUF-Founder
I would be interested in what kind of camera/lens you are using if you do not have a Ricoh GR with you (is that possible at all?) or if you want to shoot something specific for which the Ricoh GR is not the best tool.

So I start for myself: I have several different camera systems. Nikon Z, Panasonic Lumix fullframe (L-Mount), Fuji X, Panasonic Lumix MFT, Fuji X100v, GoPro etc.

I purchased the Nikon Z system at a time when it was looking like the L-Mount system would offer only big and heavy cameras (S1/S1R) and lenses (50/1.4 etc.). Since the introduction of the smaller Lumix S5 and the introduction of the Sigma i-series lenses for L-Mount, this changed. I added more and more L-Mount gear and use nowadays for fullframe only the L-Mount system. Nikon Z stays at home.

But although the L-Mount system is really good, it can not beat my MFT system in size and weight. Same counts for Fuji X, which is developing in a direction (bigger and heavier) which is not why I started with Fuji X years ago. My MFT system basically replaced my Fuji X system over the years. Same as with my Nikon Z system, I do not use the Fuji X system anymore, but I will keep both over the next 12-18 months and see what the future might bring.

I also have a Fuji X100v, which is the closest competitor to my Ricoh GR, but although I am in absolute love with the design of the X100 line, I just do not grab as often to the X100v as I do to the Ricoh GR. It is like 95% of the time Ricoh GR and 5% Fuji X100v. It is not because of the focal length. The X100v has even the advantage over the Ricoh GR, that you can use in bright light a viewfinder and tilting screen. Also image quality of the X100v is good.

I think the main reason/disadvantage (for me) is the size and the usability of the X100v, which is significantly bigger than the Ricoh GR and I can not operate the X100v with one hand as I can do it with my Ricoh GR. I would love to have a tilting screen on the GR though :)

So the two "systems" I use, if I do not use my Ricoh GRIII or GRIIIx are Lumix L-Mount and Lumix MFT. If it has to be really small, then the MFT system, if I need the maximum in dynamic range or shallow DOF, the L-Mount system. Sometimes it is just a question of "mood". :)

I combine these systems often with Ricoh GR. In MFT for example the Lumix GX9 with the new Leica 9/1.7 and the Lumix 35-100/2.8 in a small Billingham Headley plus Ricoh GRIII and GRIIIx. Same procedure with L-Mount: Lumix S5 with the Sigma 16-28/2.8 and the (too big) Lumix 70-300/4.5-5.6 plus both Ricoh's. For L-Mount I hope that Sigma will launch within the next 12-18 months a small & light telezoom like a 70-200/4.5-5.6.

As you can see, everything is put around both Ricoh GR, because the Ricohs with their APS-C sized sensor and the excellent 28mm and 40mm lenses give me such a good image quality and usability, that there is almost never a reason to use a similar focal range with my other systems.

It is very seldom that I need a 50/1.8 or i.e 85/1.8, no matter of which system. I like my MFT GX9 with Lumix Leica 15/1.7 and Leica 25/1.4 MkII, but if the sun is not too bright for the Ricoh LCD screen, there is no reason to use MFT with these focals lengths. I have less weight and less volume with 2 GRs, similar DOF, better dynamic range. Only the viewfinder is missing.

So when I go on vacation, the reason to take a system along with my 2 GRs is 50% "insurance" - just to secure that in case the sun is to bright (i.e. canarian islands or Bali), I have a viewfinder - and 50% to be able to use a FL, which is not covered by the 2 GRs.

My Smartphone is of course always with me and I also take pictures with it. But I know, no matter how good the image looks on the smartphone screen, it will never look as good as with a Ricoh GR. Since the size and weight is not that much different (the pro and ultra versions of the top phones are huge), I can also carry additionally at least 1 Ricoh GR with me - in that case the GRIIIx.

What about you? What do you use beside the Ricoh GR?

I'm not a GR owner yet, but will soon be.
I used a Fujifilm X100s. Beside that i had Canon 5DMK3 and some glass. I sold it al and had a lot of fun with a Pentax K-70 with the standard 18-135 lens. Both weather sealed and producing great images. And occasionally I use my Pixel 4a phonecamera if I have nothing else with me and want to capture something.
Can't wait to explore the GR.

You will love the GR!

If you enjoyed the X100s with its 35mm, then the GR3x with its 40mm might be better for you than the GR3 with its 28mm. every mm in the wideangle makes mor difference than in the "normal" or tele focal range"

But you will probably not resist in the long run to aquire both. Sooner or later...
Z04 Flucht

I use both GRs and I am very happy also with the GR3 and its 28mm, although I normallly tend more towards 40-75mm with my other ILC equipment.

I use a Fujifilm GFX 50S II. I also enjoy using my Panasonic GX85 kit. I have an affinity for MFT. I also have a Pentax KF on the way.

I still have a number of digital cameras (Nikon D610, Nikon D5600, Nikon Coolpix A, Fuji XF10 and more) but, like my Ricoh GR3x, I rarely use them.

I'm mainly busy making analog pinhole photos. I have many pinhole cameras but at the moment I use my Ondu's (6x6, 6x6 RISE and 6x9) and my Minuta Stereo the most. Pinhole photography is really my favorite form of photography.

I work hybrid. That means that I develop my negatives and then digitize the negatives with my Epson V600 scanner.

I also regularly use boxes, cigar boxes and (coffee) tins to make pinhole photos. Examples can be found here.

Hi every one and its good to have the forum back up & running. When I'm not using my GR, I'll grab the GXR. Of late I'm using a Kmart AUTO FOCAL MC MACRO 1:2.8 28mm. Which I believe was also made by Ricoh for Kmart. Love my wides & Macro all in one lens.
Good to “see” you again Phil Daumenhoch Smilie

My GRD IV is still my go to camera despite its age and sensor limitations. I do have a Pentax K-70 with a few lenses, my favourites being the DA 1:4 12 - 24 mm and the DFA macro 1:2.8 100 mm. I find the exposure a bit hit & miss and it's not a camera for spontaneous photography.

I used to work as a photographer until I changed careers back in 2001, this has resulted in me having a mix of camera to cover various events. Currently the GR3 for easy carry unplanned photo opportunities - Fuji XPro3 for some street work but alas not used as much as I should. I use Sony A series for general documentary and sport work and then for the pure joy of a superb tactile old style camera (albeit it digital) I have a Nikon DF that is a low light monster.

Hi, everyone. Received the invite and thought I'd drop by. The GR line is out of my reach, unfortunately. I was a user of the Pentax APS-C digital SLR line for several years and a fan of the Ricoh systems (probably why I was registered on the old forum) but eventually bought into the µ43 system and just this summer bought an eight-year-old Sony A7S. The latter cost the same (used) as the GR APS-C models (also used) at mapcamera.com here in Tokyo. I would really like to have a 40mm GR, but can't help but notice that a used Olympus OMD EM-5 is 1/5th the price, which would allow me to buy a 17mm lens for that system - not as pocketable but very versatile.

I would be interested in what kind of camera/lens you are using if you do not have a Ricoh GR with you (is that possible at all?) or if you want to shoot something specific for which the Ricoh GR is not the best tool.

So I start for myself: I have several different camera systems. Nikon Z, Panasonic Lumix fullframe (L-Mount), Fuji X, Panasonic Lumix MFT, Fuji X100v, GoPro etc.

I purchased the Nikon Z system at a time when it was looking like the L-Mount system would offer only big and heavy cameras (S1/S1R) and lenses (50/1.4 etc.). Since the introduction of the smaller Lumix S5 and the introduction of the Sigma i-series lenses for L-Mount, this changed. I added more and more L-Mount gear and use nowadays for fullframe only the L-Mount system. Nikon Z stays at home.

But although the L-Mount system is really good, it can not beat my MFT system in size and weight. Same counts for Fuji X, which is developing in a direction (bigger and heavier) which is not why I started with Fuji X years ago. My MFT system basically replaced my Fuji X system over the years. Same as with my Nikon Z system, I do not use the Fuji X system anymore, but I will keep both over the next 12-18 months and see what the future might bring.

I also have a Fuji X100v, which is the closest competitor to my Ricoh GR, but although I am in absolute love with the design of the X100 line, I just do not grab as often to the X100v as I do to the Ricoh GR. It is like 95% of the time Ricoh GR and 5% Fuji X100v. It is not because of the focal length. The X100v has even the advantage over the Ricoh GR, that you can use in bright light a viewfinder and tilting screen. Also image quality of the X100v is good.

I think the main reason/disadvantage (for me) is the size and the usability of the X100v, which is significantly bigger than the Ricoh GR and I can not operate the X100v with one hand as I can do it with my Ricoh GR. I would love to have a tilting screen on the GR though :)

So the two "systems" I use, if I do not use my Ricoh GRIII or GRIIIx are Lumix L-Mount and Lumix MFT. If it has to be really small, then the MFT system, if I need the maximum in dynamic range or shallow DOF, the L-Mount system. Sometimes it is just a question of "mood". :)

I combine these systems often with Ricoh GR. In MFT for example the Lumix GX9 with the new Leica 9/1.7 and the Lumix 35-100/2.8 in a small Billingham Headley plus Ricoh GRIII and GRIIIx. Same procedure with L-Mount: Lumix S5 with the Sigma 16-28/2.8 and the (too big) Lumix 70-300/4.5-5.6 plus both Ricoh's. For L-Mount I hope that Sigma will launch within the next 12-18 months a small & light telezoom like a 70-200/4.5-5.6.

As you can see, everything is put around both Ricoh GR, because the Ricohs with their APS-C sized sensor and the excellent 28mm and 40mm lenses give me such a good image quality and usability, that there is almost never a reason to use a similar focal range with my other systems.

It is very seldom that I need a 50/1.8 or i.e 85/1.8, no matter of which system. I like my MFT GX9 with Lumix Leica 15/1.7 and Leica 25/1.4 MkII, but if the sun is not too bright for the Ricoh LCD screen, there is no reason to use MFT with these focals lengths. I have less weight and less volume with 2 GRs, similar DOF, better dynamic range. Only the viewfinder is missing.

So when I go on vacation, the reason to take a system along with my 2 GRs is 50% "insurance" - just to secure that in case the sun is to bright (i.e. canarian islands or Bali), I have a viewfinder - and 50% to be able to use a FL, which is not covered by the 2 GRs.

My Smartphone is of course always with me and I also take pictures with it. But I know, no matter how good the image looks on the smartphone screen, it will never look as good as with a Ricoh GR. Since the size and weight is not that much different (the pro and ultra versions of the top phones are huge), I can also carry additionally at least 1 Ricoh GR with me - in that case the GRIIIx.

What about you? What do you use beside the Ricoh GR?

Hej. My name is Stanislaw Witold Zolczynski known on Ricohforum as Riccadonna.
I had a long story with Ricoh starting with GXR A28 then A50macro module and as they came m-module and finally GR to with I added bit bulky but optically excellent wide converter. In course of time my A50 module broked down followed by GR.
Recently I use beside Ricohs Fuji X-E3 camera with excellent small Fujicrons, the combo reminding me most of RicohGXR. As I got older my eyesigh is not so good as before, perhaps I`m a lazy and bit impatient guy too relying often on AF which is of course much faster then GXR.
Still old cameras and their sensors have charm of their own and m-module with it`s offset microlenses to compensate for vingneting of Leica wide angle lenses has no equals, which is by the way, another reason to go into GXR as I have a array of LTM and m-mount lenses of german, japanese and russian make. Greeting to everybody Stanislaw

Back