GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

GR iiix: TC versus Crop Zoom

nomis

Hi everyone,

hast anyone made a comparison of images taken with the tele converter in comparison to the crop zoom? Maybe even with images accessible online?

Would love to see that...

Have a good day!
Nomis

Hi,
what are you interested in, with this comparison?
I can say, that the GT-2 delivers superb quality. It´s the same resolution like the 50mm crop and give you at the same quality 75mm focal length. If you crop without the GT-2 to 75mm angle of view, you`ll loose a lot of pixels.
I posted last year a comparison with GR II, GR IIIx and GW-4 and GT-2 in another forum. I hope it is OK, to post the link here.
Comparison of GR II and GR IIIx with different converter lenses (in German)
(If not, the Admin please feel free to remove it.)

Thank you for the link, very interesting.

I'm interested in two things:

1. One thing is the resolution, the other the sharpness of the lens. The 40 mm lens projects the image at a certain sharpness on the sensor. How does this image cropped to 71 mm compare to the sharpness of the image the TC projects on the sensor? (One could reduce deliberately the resolution when taking the picture with TC to 7 MP...)

2. How are the differences in "flattening" the image and how does the bokeh differ, when shooting at 2.8

Reactions: jah
Hi,
what are you interested in, with this comparison?
I can say, that the GT-2 delivers superb quality. It´s the same resolution like the 50mm crop and give you at the same quality 75mm focal length. If you crop without the GT-2 to 75mm angle of view, you`ll loose a lot of pixels.
I posted last year a comparison with GR II, GR IIIx and GW-4 and GT-2 in another forum. I hope it is OK, to post the link here.
Comparison of GR II and GR IIIx with different converter lenses (in German)
(If not, the Admin please feel free to remove it.)
Thank you, very nice and informative.
I know to read in German, but writing is not anymore good, so forgive me for it.

The 75mm crops the image to about 15-16mpix according to Ricoh, even on Raw format?
Have you tried to block the contacts of the adapter so the camera doesn't know the lens is there and would give the full resolution and a 60mm lensview?
Would the GT2 be usable on the regular GR III (would it give a 35-40-45mm or similar fov on it?) camera or perhaps even the GR II camera?
Would this interfere with the focusing and mess that up somehow?

Thank you, very nice and informative.
I know to read in German, but writing is not anymore good, so forgive me for it.

The 75mm crops the image to about 15-16mpix according to Ricoh, even on Raw format?
Have you tried to block the contacts of the adapter so the camera doesn't know the lens is there and would give the full resolution and a 60mm lensview?
Would the GT2 be usable on the regular GR III (would it give a 35-40-45mm or similar fov on it?) camera or perhaps even the GR II camera?
Would this interfere with the focusing and mess that up somehow?
Yes, the Crop unfortunately reduces the resolution of the Raw-Files, too.
I also made some tests where I stick a little tape on the contacts to have the 60mm focal length full resolution pictures. You can find the examples here (pictures from the bookshelf on page 4, the first is with GT2 and taped contacts, the second is the crop to 75mm). To me this works from the quality perspective, but I decided not to use, because of the wrong exif-data.
GT2 does not work on the 28mm GR II (and I assume on the 28mm GR III also not), because it screws to deep into the adapter and is blocked by the extracted lens. But the GW-4 (designed for GR III) works on the GR III x as well. ;-)

Thank you for the link, very interesting.

I'm interested in two things:

1. One thing is the resolution, the other the sharpness of the lens. The 40 mm lens projects the image at a certain sharpness on the sensor. How does this image cropped to 71 mm compare to the sharpness of the image the TC projects on the sensor? (One could reduce deliberately the resolution when taking the picture with TC to 7 MP...)

2. How are the differences in "flattening" the image and how does the bokeh differ, when shooting at 2.8
Hi,
I tried to make some test pictures inside (because of the weather). Maybe this helps to answer your questions.

GR005797.JPG
  • RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. - RICOH GR IIIx
  • 26.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/125 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

1. GR IIIx without GT-2, Crop to 71mm, 7.5 MPix

GR005798.JPG
  • 39.1 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/125 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 400

2. GR IIIx Crop to 50mm with GT-2 eq. 75mm, 15 MPix

To me it looks like the depth of field is tighter with the GT-2.
To show, how much more you can get with the GT-2, I made a third shot with Crop to 71mm.

GR005799.JPG
  • 39.1 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/125 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 400

3. GR IIIx Crop to 71mm with GT-2 eq. 107mm, 7.5 MPix

Thank you, thats exactly what I was looking for!!!
Depth of field is significant shallower with TC.
But I find the crop image showing more details in resolution.

Yes your‘re right, but I just recognized, that the Camera switched to ISO400, with the Converter. That might be a reason for the reduced resolution. It was just a quick test, sorry, that I did not recognized this before.

Yes, probably the Higher ISO makes the différence. In the third picture details are clearer than in the second, though being an addition of TC and crop. However I didn't expect such a decline between iso 200 and 400...
In any case I like the performance of the TC and will try to get one second hand.
Thank you again!

Hi, I made a second Test today, to confirm this. This time I used manual Mode and set the ISO to 200, fix. In the result, you can see clearly, that the picture without GT-2 shows more details. The overall expression of the picture with GT-2 is sharp, but if you Zoom in, you can see it.
With GT-2, you get the shallower depth of field.

Back